Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Getting started on Question 4 :)

The first version (Chaucer) plays on the relationships between men and women in the time period from which it comes. To me, a rather modern theme for this time as I figured women weren't really regarded as much of anything especially in relation to men. However, Chaucer's version questions what is it that all women want and again to my surprise the answer was governance over all men, their husbands etc. How was this even legal to publish? Unless it was a joke. Well, theres my answer...The ironic end, when the King grants his 'ugliest creature' (wife's) ultimate wish, by giving her the power of choice between faithfulness or beauty, she in turn ends up giving him what he wants, which (shallowly yet sadly not surprisingly) is an attractive wife. This confused me because part of me thinks theres quite a feminist turn around in the story after about half way but at the same time not. The moral I extracted from it was that if men give women what they want, they in turn will get what they want or, if husbands treat women how they wish to be treated than their wives will do the same. Yet from this story,the only treatment I gathered men ever want is a beautiful woman's touch.
The second version (Sir Gawain) the first difference I noticed was the 'gaily outfitted horse' which the foul creature rode 'so well'. Secondly, she demands the King to find her a husband or else he dies. Thinking that no one would do such a deed for him he felt he was surely doomed as he certainly did not want to be the chosen one. In the end, the 'moral' of the story points towards chivalry and the nobility of the King's knights, as Gawain effortlessly takes up the Kings burden. Now, I know the question says there were 3 different version, but I can only find 2 that are in normal English... If anyone has anything more to add please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment